Monday 5 December 2011

Android Phones Seeing 'Malware Attack'

 Dear Readers,

Each time when we purchase our latest gadget, the one think we would look in to in the first place will be how vulnerable it is this device that I am bout the own..

Well like other I have at least 1 experience where my phone was attacked by a virus, my old 2G phone (phone brand will not be mentioned) I cant recall what model. but it was the time when MMS feature was just introduced to all mobile phone users where you can send MMS picture to your friends, family or to anyone over GMS network via GPRS services. 

This virus, will caused your phone to try and sending MMS messages to every available contact list in your phone. I went to the operator and ask them about  the symptom of my phone, because I was worried about the bill that I have to pay because of this attack (of cause at the time of the attack I don't know it was caused by a virus). So they decided to remove the GPRS service from my account profile. hopping the problem would be resolved. few minutes later the G symbol began to appear again ( indicating GPRS service ACTIVE). So to shorten the story I finally found out that it was caused by a virus that randomly select contact stored in your phone and tries to send the MMS to the intended recipient. to resolve the problem I had to reformat my phone and reinstall the software.

More than half of the smartphones sold worldwide in the third quarter of the year use Android software, the research firm Gartner said this week. And as the platform grows, so do its malware woes. Cybersecurity firm McAfee reported in August that Android had become the number-one target for malicious software. 

October and November are expected to see the fastest growth of malware in the history of the Android operating system, according to the post by Juniper Global Threat Center. This comes after a fourfold increase in Android malware from 2009 to the summer of 2010, the company said. By Juniper's count, that means Android malware has increased a stunning 427% from July 2011 to November 10, 2011.  

Below is a chart indicating the record of recent attack on smartphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments..Please do visit me again.. Thank you so much once again..