Tuesday 20 September 2011

Photo Reading..new way to increase your reading speed

Reading?..Well when it comes to reading I believed most of us well at least maybe some of us will think reading is quite some what boring.

Just imagine when you found a book that interest you, you would always take it to the counter and pay for it.for me before I plan to get a new book, I tend to think about what sort of book I would look for today. then I stop at my favorite book store which in my home town Kota Kinabalu (short for KK) has very limited numbers  of book stores to visit to.

As always after found the book that I am looking for,

1) I'll go straight to the back cover of the book, and see what is the book all about, what others comment
    about the book.
2) Table of Content to see what are the topics being write about, are there any specific topics that I am
    actually looking for?

if these 2 satisfy me about the book I am looking for I will go straight to the counter and pay for it..

The Reading Part
Reading....hmmm 
For me honestly I am not a fast reading kind of person, but I am pretty sure my wife is quite a speed reader but not a pro speed reader but at least better than how I read.for example if my wife takes about 2 days to finish a 200++ pages of book, it took me forever to finish reading the same book.

So reading a book word by word.. 200++ pages with millions of words to digest..how long will it take me to finish 1 page? the answer is I don't know, a wild guess would be 25minute to 35 minutes or maybe even up to 45minutes to finish a page? how would a professional speed reader rate me if I were to finish a page for 35 minutes, and approximately 1 hour to finish 2 pages..

After reading the second page, I started to feel like reading a good book becomes so boring, because of the way I read my book.

Get me a Reading Book Technique
I loved reading..but at the same time reading makes me feeling boring. I decided to get myself a Speed reading technique book. Titled "The Speed Reading Book" by Tony Buzan..
I know it is a great speed reading technique/improvement book. But I never get to learn the technique because I never finished it let alone applying the technique and guild line highlighted in the book..

Back to way I Started
A slow reading enthusiast...does this sound right? I should have just say a Slow....slow reader. How does this title sounds "The Reader that never finish his book"... hehehe 
So I am back to way I started..

Browsing for tips the internet way..
Then today I started to browse the internet. I type in the Search Box a string of words 

1) How to improve speed reading
2) Speed Reading
3) Speed Reading Tips..

Finally there is this tag says "Photo Reading" a new ways to speed reading. at first I thought photo reading is about reading your book by looking a the pictures that printed on the book..

But again I ask my self most adults books or self enrichment book do not have photos or pictures printed unless there is a chart or process flow to explain the concept. but how do you photo reading a book when there is no picture and photos to look at?!?...??

What is Photo Reading
If Speed reading as defined by wikipedia "Speed reading is a collection of reading methods which attempt to increase rates of reading without greatly reducing comprehension or retention. Methods include chunking and eliminating subvocalization."

Also from wikipedia, I quote "Speed reading is characterized by an analysis of trade-offs between measures of speed and comprehension, recognizing that different types of reading call for different speed and comprehension rates, and that those rates may be improved with practice."

Then what is photo reading all about?
How does photo reading defines the way you read a book and books when the method and process did not involve reading words directly.
Again according to wikipedia, I quote " PhotoReading is a commercial product promoted by Learning Strategies Corporation with the phrase PhotoRead at 25,000 words a minute. Doubts have been raised[by whom?] about the ability of the brain to take in such a quantity of data at once. The human vision span is somewhat limited for this purpose if peripheral vision is not used."
And according to millicentstclaire.com in their e-article titled "What is PhotoReading Get Speed, Comprehension and Enjoyment…with all of your reading… general to technical By Millicent St. Claire" stated that "PhotoReading is a unique way to process and understand large volumes of information quickly and efficiently - without speed reading - wins praise from people wanting to get on
top of information. While PhotoReading is not the same as regular reading, your regular reading speed can easily double, triple, or quadruple - with an increase in comprehension and retention!
"
also from milicentstclaire.com also mentioned that "PhotoReading, on the other hand, is an other-than-conscious, right brain process. You learn how not to rely on the words that are on the page, but on what goes on in your head. It’s not about moving your eyeballs really fast; it’s about using your brain more efficiently. Speed reading is about getting comprehension of the words on the page while PhotoReading is about getting comprehension of the meaning of the page."

So basically, if my understanding served me correctly.. Photo Reading is a technique that allows understand what you read by turning these words into pictures as fast as you can, a process that takes place in you brain. so photo reading is all about using your brain more efficiently as you read.

So speed reading talks about the techniques used on how fast you read in a comprehension.
Then photo reading talks about how fast can your understand what you read in a comprehension.

That is why photo reading experts says this new technique is much more efficient and enjoy..

To all my readers, if anyone have ever learned the process of photo reading and understand the whole processes involve in photo reading techniques..please feel free to drop a few lines of comments.



Thank you and looking forward to have your comments.

BTW..please feel free to watch the you tube video clips what Photo Reading is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments..Please do visit me again.. Thank you so much once again..